Where did that cough come from?
Parents are always on high alert when they hear their child cough. It’s upsetting indeed to hear our little ones stave off a potential cold or an asthma attack. What can we do to help?
- Use a humidifier to put moisture in the air
- Reduce the amount of food you give to a child, if there is vomiting with hard coughing
- Encourage drinking enough fluids thins out nasal secretions and loosens phlegm.
- If your child has a fever, consider giving Tylenol or ibuprofen if the fever is above 102 degrees.
- Avoid those who smoke, as tobacco smoking makes coughing much worse.
Experts suggest you give warm, clear fluids to infants up to 1 year of age, and 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of honey for those who are over 1 year of age.