Texans are familiar with Gulf storms and the cone of uncertainty all too well. As we keep a watchful eye on two tropical storms, being proactive is a necessity.
What to gather
Food and medicine
- Prescription medicines (You should have at least a two week supply on-hand.) Please call us ahead of time, or utilize the MyUTP Patient Portal, to request refills.
- Clean containers for water
- At least five gallons of water per person (which should be enough to last three to five days)
- A three to five day supply of food that doesn’t go bad (like canned food)
- Baby food or formula
- First aid kit and instructions
- Fire extinguisher
- Battery-powered radio
- Extra batteries
- Sleeping bags or extra blankets
- Supplies to make drinking water safe (like iodine tablets or chlorine bleach)
Personal care products
- Hand sanitizer
- Wet cleaning cloths (like baby wipes) in case you don’t have clean water
- Feminine products
What to remember
- The UT Physicians nurse triage line is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Registered nurses on the line are prepared to answer questions regarding medical problems, medications, and treatments for you and your family. Should you have a medical question during a storm event, give them a call at 713.486.UTRN (8876).
- Keep your important paperwork (including any medical documents you may have) in watertight bags or containers.
- Should a storm target Texas, be sure to monitor our social media channels and website for updates if you have scheduled appointments.