Dr. Mark Chassay is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Orthopedic Surgery, as well as the Department of Family and Community Medicine at McGovern Medical School at The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth). Dr. Chassay also serves as the Associate Dean for Alumni Affairs and the Assistant Dean for Admissions and Student Affairs.
Dr. Chassay focuses on full care of the athlete from the common cold and health maintenance to non-operative management of injuries, injury prevention and helping patients get started on an active lifestyle. He has a particular interest in men’s health and stress management in the active person.
Dr. Chassay is actively involved in numerous professional organizations, including the American Academy of Family Physicians, the American Medical Society of Sports Medicine, and the Texas Academy of Family Physicians.
University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, 1992
Memorial Hospital Southeast, 1995
Kaiser Permanente Sports Medicine, 1996
- Head Team Physician / Chief Medical Officer, Intercollegiate Athletics for Men & Women, University of Texas at Austin, 2005-2011
- Member, NCAA Task Force on Doping, Drug Testing, and Drug Education 2013
- Hall of Honor – Inaugural Class, J. Frank Dobie High School, 2013
- Chief Medical Officer, Team USA, Paralympics, London, 2012
- Chief Medical Officer, Team USA, Parapan American Games, Guadalajara, 2011
- Medical Advisory Committee, University Interscholastic League, 2010-present
- President, Travis County Medical Society, 2009
- Medical Director, Athletic Training Education Program, Department of Kinesiology/College of Education, University of Texas at Austin, 2008-2012
- Medical Officer, Team USA, Olympics, Beijing, 2008
- Medical Review Officer, UIL Steroid Drug Testing Program, 2008-present
- Medical Officer, Team USA, Pan American Games, Rio de Janeiro, 2007
- Chief Medical Officer, Team USA, VISA World Cup Paralympic Games, Manchester, 2005
- Big 12 Athletic Training Staff of the Year, 2006, 2012
- Fellow, American College of Sports Medicine, 2003
- Fellow, American Academy of Family Physicians, 1998
- Head Women’s Team Physician / Coordinator of Sports Medicine, Intercollegiate Athletics for Women, University of Texas at Austin, 1996-2005
- Norma Culmer Outstanding Senior Resident Award – Memorial Southwest Family Practice Program, 1994
- American Medical Association/Glaxo Leadership Award, 1994