- Sleeve Gastrectomy
- UT Physicians The Davis Clinic Contact our Staff
- UT Physicians The Davis Clinic – Appointment Request
- Lap Band Assistance
- BMI Calculator – Body Mass Index
- UT Physicians The Davis Clinic Frequently Asked Questions
- UT Physicians The Davis Clinic Support Group
- Am I a candidate for weightloss surgery?
- UT Physicians The Davis Clinic Detailed Driving Directions
- Duodenal Switch Surgery
- UT Physicians The Davis Clinic Patient Financing
- Gastric Bypass
- Educational Videos
The gastric bypass restricts the amount of food one can eat by making a small stomach pouch and bypassing a portion of the small bowel. The small stomach pouch is made and the small intestine divided and brought up to the pouch so that food bypasses the lower stomach and a portion of the small bowel. The bowel is joined further down so digestive juices will mix with food and help with absorption.
Advantages of gastric bypass surgery include:
• reduction or resolution of serious co-morbidities such as Type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, sleep apnea, high cholesterol;
• reduced desire to eat;
• easy follow-up schedule with your surgeon;
• procedure is done laparoscopically (with small incisions);
• proven, long-term success;
• typical hospital stay of one or two nights with return to work in 1-2 weeks.