UT Physicians Educational Corner is a resource for parents and guardians to learn and understand how to navigate the school system for your child’s needs.
On this page, you will learn about programs that exist to help support your child with their academic and behavior goals. You will also find a list of educational resources to advocate for your child while caring for yourself.
UT Physicians mental health providers have compiled a list of resources and personalized videos to assist you with helping your child through school. You will find explanations for Response to Intervention (RtI), Section 504, and Special Education below. Information on virtual classes, parent-teacher conferences, and examples of accommodations and modifications are also available. For more information, please contact your local UT Physicians clinic and ask to speak with a social worker.
Mental Health Resources
Bibliography for parents dealing with ADHD and related behavioral and academic challenges
- The Kazdin Method for Parenting the Defiant Child – by Alan E. Kazdin, Ph.D.
- Your Defiant Teen 10- steps to resolve conflict and rebuild your relationship – Russell Barkley, PhD and Arthur Robin, PhD
- Taking Charge of ADHD: The Complete, Authoritative Guide for Parents – by Russell Barkley, PhD
- Smart but Scattered – by Peg Dawson, Ed. D. and Richard Guare PhD
- Educational Care: A System for Understanding and Helping Children with Learning Problems at home and in school – by Dr. Mel Levine
- Straight Talk about Psychiatric Medications for Kids, Third Edition – by Timothy Wilens, MD