Erik P. Askenasy, MD
Surgery – Colon and Rectal
- Board Certification:
American Board of Colon and Rectal Surgery
Colon and Rectal Surgery American Board of Surgery
Surgical Critical Care
The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, 2005
Baylor College of Medicine, 2012
The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, 2013
Erik P. Askenasy, MD, FACS, provides comprehensive colorectal care for patients. He has been recognized for numerous awards and is active in many professional organizations. Dr. Askenasy has expertise in advanced colorectal surgery and established the robotic colorectal program within the Department of Surgery at The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth).
2011-present Fundamentals of Laparoscopic Surgery
2012-present Advanced Trauma Life Support
2013-present American Board of Surgery (Certificate 57362)
2014-present American Board of Colon and Rectal Surgery (Certificate 2448)
2015-present Pediatric Advanced Life Support
2015-present Advanced Cardiac Life Support
PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS (AND COMMITTEES OF THESE):
2014-Present Harris County Medical Society
2014-Present Houston Surgical Society
2014-Present Ventral Hernia Outcomes Collaborative
2014-Present Texas Medical Association
2014-Present Texas Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons
2004-Present Alpha Omega Alpha
2012-Present Michael E. Debakey International Surgical Society
2013-Present Surgical Infection Society (SIS)
2015-Present American College of Surgeons (Fellow)
2016-Present Board of Directors of Ventral Hernia Outcomes Collaborative (non-profit Tax ID 814819133)
2017-Present American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons (Fellow)
2019-Present Association of Academic Surgeons
HONORS AND AWARDS:
1998 Terry Foundation Scholar
1998 University Honors
1998 Golden Key International Honour Society
1999 Tau Beta Pi (Engineering Honour Society)
2003 Medical School Senator
2004 Alpha Omega Alpha President
2008-2009 McCollum Academic Achievement Award
2009-2012 Teaching Excellence Award
2018 Harris Health Hero Award
2018 SETRAC Emergency Response Award
2019 Deans Teaching Excellence Award
2014-Present Reviewer for Surgical Infections
2014-Present Reviewer for Annals of Surgery
2017-Present Reviewer for American Journal of Surgery
2017-Present Reviewer for International Journal of Case Reports
2018-Present Reviewer for Journal of Surgical Education
SERVICE TO THE COMMUNITY:
2004 H.O.M.E.S. Clinic Volunteer
2009 Medical mission trip to Ahuazotepec, Mexico with TIME for Christ Ministries
2014-2015 Medical mission trips to Guaimaca, Honduras with BMDMI
2014-2015 Shattered Dreams – high school community outreach program
2016 Medical missions trip to Cuba with Medical Education International
2013-2018 Medical mission trips to Antigua, Guatemala with Faith in Practice
2017-2019 Medical mission trips to Retalhuleu, Guatemala with Faith in Practice (organize and lead)
SERVICE ON UTH AFFILIATED HOSPITAL COMMITTEES
2017-Present MHSE Surgery Service Committee
2018-Present MHSE Surgeon NSQIP Champion
2019-Present MHSE OR Committee
2019-Present MHSE Credentials Committee
2019-Present MHSE Robotics Committee (Chairperson)
2019-Present UTHealth Resident Education Committee
CURRENT TEACHING RESPONSIBILITIES:
8/2016-Present Department of Surgery UTH/Lyndon B Johnson Hospital
- Monthly mock oral board conference for surgical residents
- Medical student lecturer
UTHealth/Colon and Rectal Clinic at Memorial Southeast Hospital
- Colorectal and robotic surgery education for colorectal surgery fellows (includes rounds, clinic, and operative venues)
CURRENT CLINICAL AND SERVICE RESPONSIBILITIES:
8/2016-Present Department of Surgery UTH/Lyndon B Johnson Hospital
- Co-direct the colorectal clinic
- Developed the robotic colorectal program
- Specialize in advanced colorectal surgery
- Founded and co-direct intra-institutional, inter-departmental complex GI conference (between BCM and UTH)
UTH/Colon and Rectal Clinic at Memorial Southeast Hospital
- Chair of the multidisciplinary rectal cancer tumor board (in pursuit of rectal cancer center of excellence)
- Developed a colorectal robotics program (now a designated robotics “Super User” by DaVinci Surgical)
- Designated Robotic Proctor
- Developed and implemented an ERAS protocol that is used hospital wide which includes education for multiple hospital services including preassessment testing, pharmacy, Pre-op, PACU, and floor nursing, as well as Anesthesia.
10/2014-7/2016 Trauma and General Surgeons PLLC (TAGS) – Founding Partner
- One of four trauma surgeons involved with developing the first accredited level II trauma center in the Houston area at Clear Lake Regional Medical Center.
- Accredited by the American College of Surgeons.
CURRENT GRANT SUPPORT:
8/2017-Present Wound complications following abdominal surgery: 2×2 factorial trial, Lifecell, $1MM (materials and grant support). PI: Erik P. Askenasy
- Askenasy EP, Schmidt C. Incorporation of hyaluronic acid hydrogels into polypyrrole nerve guidance channels to efficate peripheral nerve regeneration. UTURF 2000
- Askenasy EP, Grill R. Treatment of the acutely injured adult rat spinal cord with the phosphodiesterase inhibitor Rolipram. UTSRP 2002
- Askenasy EP, Howell L. Treatment of pilonidal cysts using rotational rhomboid flaps. ASCRS 2013
- Miel S, Askenasy EP Total ileocolic intussusception with lead cecal mass causing rectal perforation. LMSA Research Symposium at BCM 2014
- Askenasy EP, Berger DH, Scott BG, Kao LS, Liang MK. Dictation, coding, and billing accuracy: A case study in skin and soft tissue procedures. SIS 2014
- Courtney BA, Berger DA, Askenasy EP. The cost of surgical education. 2014 Baylor Resident Symposium
- Arita NA, Nguyen MT, Nguyen DH, Berger RL, Hicks SC, Suliburk JT, Askenasy EP, Kao LS, Liang MK, laparoscopic versus open repair of primary and incisional ventral hernias: A systematic review and meta-analysis. ASC 2014.
- Bondre IL, Holihan JL, Askenasy EP, Greenberg JA, Keith J, Martindale RG, Roth JS, Wray CJ, Kao LS, Liang MK. Suture, synthetic, or biologic mesh? A multi-center comparison of contaminated ventral hernia repair. ASC 2015.
- Holihan J, I Bondre, Askenasy EP, Greenberg JA, Keith J, Martindale RG, Roth JS, Wray CJ, Kao LS, Liang MK. Sublay versus underlay in open ventral hernia repair: A multi-institutional risk-adjusted comparison. ASC 2015.
- Holihan JL, Bondre I, Askenasy EP, Greenberg JA, Keith J, Martindale RG, Roth JS, Kao LS, Liang MK. Component separation versus bridged repair for large ventral hernias. SIS 2015.
- Holihan JL, Karanjawala B, Ko A, Askenasy EP, Matta EJ, Alawadi ZM, Bondre I, Flores JR, Kao LS, Liang MK. Computed Tomography is not reliable in diagnosing ventral hernia recurrence: A blinded, prospective, multi-speciality evaluation. AWR 2015. (Best Abstract)
- Mitchell TO, Holihan JL, Askenasy EP, Greenberg JA, Keith JN, Martindale RG, Roth JS, Henchcliffe BE, Hannon CW, Mo J, Liang MK. Do risk calculators accurately predict surgical site infection in ventral hernia repair? ASC 2016.
- Social Media in Surgery and Medicine Study Group. Is the American College of Surgeons online communities a safe and effective venue to ask for surgical advice? Western Surgical 2018.
- Groves E, Askenasy EP. A novel ERAS protocol: The quest for narcotic-free colectomy. ASCRS 2018
- Baysinger K, Pidala, M, Groves, E, Cusick M, Mcknight S, Askenasy, EP, Snyder M. Robotic right hemicolectomy with extracorporeal vs intracorporeal anastomosis: Is there a difference? ASCRS 2018
- Gaglani T, Davis, CH, Askenasy EP, Cusick MV, Prevalence of surgically complex diverticulitis in young hispanic males in 2016. ASC 2019
Referred Original Articles in Journals
- Askenasy EP, Taber K, Yang, P, Dafny N. Methylphenidate (Ritalin): Behavioral studies in the rat. J. of Neuroscience 2007. Epub PMID 17454243
- Schechet S, Askenasy EP, Dhamne S, Scott B. Anemia and jejunal intussusception: An unusual presentation for a metastatic phyllodes breast tumor. Int J of Surgery Case Reports 2011 Epub PMID 22288047
- Holt AM, West CA, Davis JA, Gilani R, Askenasy E. Common femoral vein reconstruction using internal jugular vein after blast injury. Ann Vasc Surg 2014 Epub 24667284
- Nguyen DH, Nguyen MT, Askenasy EP, Kao LS, Liang MK. Primary fascial closure with laparoscopic ventral hernia repair: systematic review. World J Surg 2014 Epub PMID 25145817
- Arita AN, Nguyen MT, Nguyen DH, Berger RL, Lew DF, Suliburk JT, Askenasy EP, Kao LS, Liang MK. Laparoscopic repair reduces incidence of surgical site infection for all ventral hernias. Surg Endosc 2015 Epub PMID 25294541
- Holihan JL, Askenasy EP, Greenberg J, Keith JM, Martindale RG, Roth JS, Mo J, Ko TC, Kao LS, Liang MK. Component separation versus bridged repair for large ventral hernias: A multi-institutional risk-adjusted comparison, systematic review, and meta-analysis. Surgical Infections. 2016. Epub PMID 26375422.
- Holihan JL, Karanjawala B, Ko A, Askenasy EP, Matta EJ, Alawadi ZM, Bondre I, Flores JR, Kao LS, Liang MK. Computed Tomography is not reliable in diagnosing ventral hernia recurrence: A blinded, prospective, multi-speciality evaluation. JAMA Surgery. Epub PMID 26398884.
- Bondre IL, Holihan JL, Askenasy EP, Greenberg JA, Keith J, Martindale RG, Roth JS, Liang MK; Ventral Hernia Outcomes Collaborative. Suture, synthetic, or biologic mesh in contaminated ventral hernia repair. JSR. 2016 Epub PMID 26424112.
- Wennergren JE, Askenasy EP, Greenberg JA, Holihan JL, Keith JN, Liang MK, Martindale RG, Plymale MA, Roth JS. Laparoscopic ventral hernia repair with primary fascial closure versus bridged repair: a risk-adjusted comparative study. Surg Endoscopy. 2016 Epub PMID 26578434.
- Liank MK, Holihan JL, Itani K, Alawadi ZM, Gonzelez JR, Askenasy EP, Ballecer C, Chong HS, Goldblatt MI, Greenberg JA, Harvin JA, Keith JN, Martindale RG, Orenstein S, Richmond B, Roth JS, Szotek P, Towfigh S, Tsuda S, Vaziri K, Berger DH. Ventral hernia management: expert consensus guided by systematic review. Ann Surg. 2016 Epub PMID 26982687
- Holihan JL, Bondre I, Askenasy EP, Greenberg JA, Keith JN, Martindale RG, Roth JS, Liang MK. Sublay versus underlay in open ventral hernia repair. 2016 Epub PMID 27083944.
- Mitchell TO, Holihan JL, Askenasy EP, Greenberg JA, Keith JN, Martindale RG, Roth JS, Henchcliffe BE, Hannon CW, Mo J, Liang MK. Do Risk Calculators Accurately Predict Surgical Site Infection in Ventral Hernia Repair? JSR. 2016 Epub PMID 27338535 “Featured Article”
- Holihan JL, Li LT, Askenasy EP, Greenberg JA, Keith JN, Martindale RG, Roth JS, Liang MK; Ventral Hernia Outcomes Collaborative. Analysis of Model Development Strategies: Predicting Ventral Hernia Recurrence. 2016 Epub PMID 27916356.
- Liang MK, Holihan HL, Itani K, Alawadi ZM, Gonzalez JR, Askenasy EP, Ballecer C, Chong HS, Goldblatt MI, Greenberg JA, Harvin JA, Keith JN, Martindale RG, Orenstein S, Richmond B, Roth JS, Szotek P, Towfigh S, Tsuda S, Vaziri K, Berger DH. Ventral Hernia Management: Expert Consensus Guided by Systematic Review. Ann Surg. 2017 Epub PMID 28009730
- Social Media in Surgery and Medicine Study Group. Is the American College of Surgeons Online Communities a Safe and Effective Venue to ask for Surgical Advice? JSR (Submitted), 2019
- Hatton GE, Toelle LJ, Roife D, Tanaka A, Ko TC, Askenasy EP. When a Metropolitan Hospital Becomes a Remote Location: A Craniectomy during a Hurricane. JTSACO (Submitted), 2019
- Askenasy EP, Dafny N. Parafascicular Nucleus Pain Modulation. Encyclopedia of Pain
- Askenasy, EP, Left Hemicolectomy: Laparoscopic Approach, Operative Techniques in General Surgery 1st ed, 2015.
Other Professional Communications
- Askenasy EP. Undiagnosed diaphragmatic injury. Baylor College of Medicine, International Trauma Critical Care Panel, 2011
- Askenasy EP. Management of patients with multiple rib fractures. Baylor College of Medicine, International Trauma Critical Care Panel, 2011
- Askenasy EP. Fundoplication: A history of integrity, character, and influence. Baylor College of Medicine, Grand Rounds, 2012
- Askenasy, EP. Polyposis syndromes. Colon and Rectal Clinic of Houston Scientific Meeting, 2012
- Askenasy, EP. Pre-Sacral Masses. Colon and Rectal Clinic of Houston Scientific Meeting, 2013
- Askenasy EP. Operative Dictations: Are we accurate? Baylor College of Medicine, 2014
- Askenasy EP. FAST track protocols: Do they work? Colorado County Medical Society, 2015
- Askenasy EP. Colonic Trauma: Historical Perspective and Current Management. McGovern Medical School at UT Health Grand Rounds, 2016
- Askenasy EP. ERAS: Does it work? McGovern Medical School at UT Health Grand Rounds, 2018
- Askenasy EP, Reflection and Recommendations. Multicultural Association of Pre-Health Students. Baylor University, 2019
- Askenasy EP, Bailey HR. Hurricane Harvey, Texas Surgical Society, 2019
- Askenasy EP. What Level 1 Evidence is There to Guide us in Ventral and Inguinal Hernia Repair. MEI, Santa Clara, Cuba 2016
- Askenasy EP. Management of Colonic Trauma. MEI, Cienfuegos, Cuba 2016
- Hatton G, Askenasy EP. When a Metropolitan Hospital Becomes a Remote Location: A Craniectomy During a Hurricane: EAST Engage the Masters Session, 2019
- The Craniotomy Crew: A General Surgeon and a Resourceful ER Team Perform Brain Surgery at LBJ Hospital During Hurricane Harvey, 2017. http://www.tmc.edu/news/2017/10/the-craniotomy-crew/
- Remembering Hurricane Harvey: LBJ Hospital’s First-Ever Neurosurgery https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7c8LBXCDd0
- UT Physicians Colon and Rectal Clinic at Southeast Houston
11920 Astoria Boulevard, Suite 330
Houston, TX 77089