Dr. Erik Wilson is a Professor of Surgery at McGovern Medical School at The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth) and the Director of the UT Physicians Minimally Invasive Surgeons of Texas.
He is the Chief of Elective General Surgery for the medical school Department of Surgery. He is also the Medical Director of Bariatric Surgery for the Memorial Hermann Hospital-TMC.
He is committed to a personal approach to the surgical care of patients with an emphasis on safe surgery through very small incisions and is a leader of advanced robotic surgery.
Baylor College of Medicine, 1996
Scott and White Texas A&M, 2001
The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, 2002
Present Title and Affiliation
- Professor, Department of Surgery, McGovern Medical School
- Chief, Minimally Invasive Surgeons of Texas, Department of Surgery
- Medical Directory, Bariatric Surgery, Memorial Hermann-Texas Medical Center
- Service Chief, General Surgery, Memorial Hermann -Texas Medical Center
- Vice Chair, Clinical Affairs, McGovern Medical School
Honors and Awards
- 1988-1992 — Texas A&M University President’s Endowed Scholar; Robert A. Welch Foundation Scholarship for Biochemistry; Texas A&M University Honors Program Fellow; Texas A&M University Dept. of Biochemistry & Biophysics; Beckman Academic Achievement Award; American Institute of Chemists Outstanding Student; Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society; Texas A&M University Student Government Senator; Texas A&M Phi Eta Sigma Freshman Honor Society
- 1996-2002 — Distinguished Poster, 8th World Congress of Endoscopic Surgery; Society of Laparoscopic Surgeons Outstanding Resident Award; Southwestern Surgical Congress Best Poster Competition; Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society Member; Best Paper Presentation, Texas A&M University Health Science Center
- 2003 — Dean’s Teaching Excellence Award, The University of Texas Medical School at Houston
- 2004 — Fellow, American College of Surgeons
- 2010 — Health & Fitness Sports Magazine’s Doctors’ Choice Award, Selected one of Houston’s Best in “Bariatric Surgery”